Assignment 1 - Commercial Soundscapes

 Assignment 1 - Commercial Soundscapes

Law Vanessa Lok Tung 

3035825095

 

In the afternoon of 18th September, I went to the China Hong Kong City and the Harbor City to experience the commercial soundscape of Tsim Sha Tsui. There was no background music playing in both shopping malls.

 

Once I entered the China Hong Kong City, I was attracted by a store called ‘Kids Kids Cars’ because there were loud and recognizable children’s songs. It pops out in a quiet environment, and thus constructs a clear separation of space between the store and the mall. It also creates a space enclosing an existing recreational activity, that is, car racing, and shapes a livelier vibe in the mall since most shops were closed. I noticed that the music was broadcasted from the floor standing speakers in the front of the store, and the speakers from the ceiling. It is believed that the reason for playing at such high volume can not only attract the attention of pedestrians and children, but also make it more listenable, immersive, and enjoyable while driving. The selected songs not only frame a playful impression, but also strengthen the sense of identity of children in the place.

 

I then went to a doll catching store called “景品捕屋”. It played relatively quiet music and did not attract my acoustic attention when I was passing by. The programmed music was synthesized and mixed with some famous theme songs in Japanese manga. I think it was quite pleasant to hear. The music came from the speakers, located at the bottom of each doll catcher machine controller. In other words, the shop is filled with music of the same kind or even the same music, but played at different moment. After wandering the store, I found that putting similar music together, even if it comes from different sources with different volumes, in an architectural space can be fused and integrated with each other. The spatial boundary of each doll catcher machine is blurred. This interesting pattern and texture of pieces create a harmonious common space.

 

After that, I went to ‘Diesel’, a watch shop in Harbor City. Although the music came from the speakers next to the door, I did not notice there was a music played at first. When the music was going on, it gives me a feeling of high-class and up-beat. Its programmed music is synthetic and similar to the “stimulus progression”, with a progression of tempo and pitch throughout the music. I feel that the music matches the product it sells, because when I looked at the watches with this background music, I can imagine the flow or movement of time. It quite suits the targeted consumer’s class and taste. 

 

My next location is cookedDeli. I found the speaker on the ceiling playing soft, chill and leisurely music, which bring diners a relaxed atmosphere. Besides, the music seems to be familiar, warm and welcoming that may probably invite shoppers to slow down their pace and go inside. In addition to building a shopper’s movement in series of restaurants, it also creates a transitional space between stores.

 

I also went to ‘Watsons’, ‘Kiehl’s’ and ‘Bath & Body Works’ respectively. I found that the music genre of these body care shops was mostly up-beat English pop songs. I was hyperconscious of the music at first since I was drawn by the popular music, but then later, I become unconscious of the background music. I guess the music is chosen because the brand wants to attract customers of young adults age group. The music broadcasted from speakers on the ceilings defines the architectural space of the shopping mall.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to MUSI3041!