Sounds of Hong Kong

I am new to Hong Kong so decided to make a sound map including some of the sounds which have been novel to me and have therefore become my ‘Soundtrack of HK’.
https://gla-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/2567154m_student_gla_ac_uk/EQBGSqoRXNVPkCd28RJJLG4B4xZrPM2DzldhwY82OKMFKQ?e=oxQAUz 1. Pedestrian Crossings The first striking sound I heard was from pedestrian crossings which I originally thought was electronic mechanisms before realising they were intentional indicators. I recorded these examples at multi-directional interchanges by walking through the junctions in multiple directions. 2. Air Conditioning Machines In the UK air conditioning is not required so the constant hum of machines here is unusual to me. The systems in classrooms on campus tend to be much quieter than the ones in my flat which suggests difference in efficiency. 3. Leave Home Safe Scanning Devices The distinctive ‘ping’ and ‘ding dong’ sounds when ‘checking in’ to venues are quite louds sound and have become distinctive sounds of Hong Kong for me. Whilst we had a similar system at home the process never made sounds; it was silent. This example was recorded at a restaurant. 4. Bamboo Sweeping Brushes Walking to campus I recorded the bamboo brushes clearing the fallen leaves from the streets. Our streets at home are not cleared regularly and when they are it is done by a small vehicle so this sound was unusual to me. 5. Water Features I have been struck by the amount and variety of water features here so made this recording of one at the UK Consulate in Admirality but have also observed others in Cheung Kong gardens, outside the LIPO building in Admiralty, on campus at HKU among many others. 6. Trams The fact that trams here are colloquially known as ‘ding-ding’ highlights just how distinctive and unique the sound is. I made this recording whilst on board a tram travelling along Jubilee Street to Admiralty. and another on the journey to Happy Valley 7. Minibus The distinctive minibus can be intimidating to newcomers with no Chinese proficiency but once on board I noticed distinctive sounds; like nothing I’d experienced before. The combination of the loud engines and people shouting out locations in the small, echoing bus makes a unique auditory experience. 8. Wet Market The feature of a wet market such as this one in Mong Kok is also unique to this area so are the sounds of its hustle and bustle were new to me having only ever shopped in Western stores before. 9. Local Wildlife The first time I encountered a wild pig was dark and I first heard it snuffling and was startled into wondering what it was. Their presence highlights to me the interplay and closeness of nature and human developed areas in Hong Kong. A further example of this nature was the very loud sound of grasshoppers in a BBQ area in Wu Kai Sha. 10. Typhoon Effects During the period affected by Typhoon Noru I walked to campus during very heavy rain and strong winds. The volume of rainfall had caused surface water on the road so the sound made by passing vehicles was immense. This experience has allowed me to appreciate that some sounds are ‘local’ and that each different place can be understood as having its own unique, distinct soundtrack. Niamh McLaughlin word count: 500

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment 1 - Commercial Soundscapes

Welcome to MUSI3041!